The Traffic Unit is responsible for:
Undertaking general traffic and road management task
- Road Safety
- Accident, Investigations and Recording
- Road Traffic Law Enforcement
- Testing Drivers Competency
- Investigating of Road Traffic Offences.
The Traffic Section shall have the following functions:
- To undertake general traffic and road management tasks including road safety and road traffic law and regulation enforcement in order to reduce risks of accidents;
- To provide investigation services for traffic accidents and road traffic offences;
- To provide competency testing services for drivers;
- To assist with escort services;
We enroll officers that are eager to work with those criteria;
- Good Discipline
- Must know how to read, write, good in English, creole and French.
- Willing to work odd hours.
There are a variety of services provided by the Traffic Unit
Applying for a Theory Test
- Step 1: Go to the Police Headquarters Reception
- Step 2: A fee of Rs100 is required and you are entitled to sit for a second test if you fail
*Ensure you do not lose the receipt
- Step 3 : The Theory Tests are conducted on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1pm at the Bel Air Community Centre. You will also be asked to choose a date from the available ones
- Step 4: You can collect the result personally at the Traffic Unit one week after completion of the theory test. Bring along your ID card.
Successful candidate-Learners Permit
Step 1: Within 1 year, after passing the theory test go to the traffic unit with your ID card and you will be required to complete an application form
Step 2: You will also be issued with a medical form which needs to be completed and certified by a medical practitioner and it is valid for 1 month.
Step 3: Proceed to the Police HQ reception with 2 passport size photos, theory test receipt and pay for a learners permit wi the cashier at a fee of SCR250.
Step 4: You are required to get a driving instructor within 3 months of being issued with the Learner's permit. If you fail to do so, your permit can be renewed for a fee of SCR250. If you fail to do so after 1 year, you will be required to resit the theory test.
Off Road Test
Step 1: You are qualified to undergo an off road test within 3 months after attending driving classes from a certified driving instructor. If you fail to do so, you will have to renew your learners permit at a fee of SCR250.
Step 2: Your instructor will need to book an appointment with the examiners at the traffic unit at a fee of SCR250. The tests are conducted every Friday.
On Road Test
Step 1: You are qualified to undergo an On Road test only after passing the off road test
Step 2: Your instructor will need to book for an appointment with the examiners at the traffic unit at a fee of SCR250. The tests are conducted from Monday to Friday.
NB: All payments are made with the cashier at the Police Headquarters reception.
Applying for another vehicle class license
Step 1: Go to the traffic unit with your ID card and you will be required to complete an application form.
Step 2: If it is within 1 year of your last application you will not need to undergo any medical test.
Step 3: Proceed to the Police Headquarters reception with 2 size passport photos, theory test receipt and pay for a Learners permit with the cashier at a fee of SCR250.
Step 4: You are required to get a driving instructor within 3 months of being issued with a learners permit. IF you fail to do so, your permit can be renewed for a fee of SCR250.
Traffic Unit: 4288023
Traffic Examiners: 4288025
Police Headquarters’ Reception: 4288062
Police Headquarters’ Cashier: 4288061